
I don't normally make anything like this, but it just so happened that I was out of normal american cuisine last night, and the only meats available in the house were ones that either my husband or I shot, and processed. Generally, that means that it's time for boiled supper or meatloaf or stew. But sadly I did not have what I needed for boiled supper, and we had meatloaf the other day. So, that meant a good opportunity to make some Swedish Meatballs. I don't know how they stack up to IKEA's version - I've never been to one. Have no plans to go either. My swede goods come from smaller swedish shops across the country. They need help a lot more than any retail goods giant.
So here is my recipe for swedish meatballs, it can be done with ground beef as well, but I think venison adds a little more authentic feeling to it, and, I have a lot of venison.
Swedish Meatballs
1 Tb butter
1/4 c. finely diced onion
3/4 c. mashed boiled potato
3 - 4 Tb fine dry bread crumbs
1 pound of ground venison, or lean ground beef
1/3 c. heavy cream
1 Tb salt
1 egg
1 Tb finely chopped fresh parsley (if available)
2Tb butter
2Tb vegetable oil or crisco
1Tb flour
3/4 c. heavy cream
Melt 1Tb butter in a small pan, and sautee the onion until they are clear, not browned.
In a large bowl, mix the sauteed onion, mashed potato, bread crumbs, meat, cream, salt, egg, and parsley. Mix very well it should look smooth and fluffy. It will look a little looser than regular or Italian meatballs will. Shape into small balls, around an inch in diameter, and chill for at least an hour before cooking them.
Over high heat, melt the rest of the butter, and oil together in a heavy 12" skillet. Add meatballs 8 - 10 at a time when the foam from the butter seems to back down. Lower the heat to medium, and be sure to keep shaking the pan, almost constantly to keep the shape of the meatballs - they are very hard to manipulate with tongs or other means - shaking them is best. In 8 - 12 minutes, the meatballs should be brown outside, and you should find no pink when you break one open.
Add more butter and oil - in equal amounts as needed, and put every finished pan full in a casserole dish to keep warm in the oven set on low (200*)
To serve as hors d'oervres or in a smorgasbord, make them just a touch smaller, and viola! you're already done. But, to serve as a main course, at this point, or a little before the last batch of meatballs are cooked, you will want to start up a pot of hot water for noodles, or have mashed potatoes nearly ready(I know of a couple of swedes that will even use rice to go along with these). You will also need to make some gravy to go with those little suckers if it's for a main course.
For the gravy, Take the pan you fried them with off the heat, and pour off the fat. Stir in 1Tb flour ( I like to use Wondra flour - it's in a blue shaker tube) Quickly stir in 3/4 cup of cream and boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until it's thick and smooth - think southern milk gravy here. Salt the gravy well, or it will have no taste, and you may as well use it for lutefisk - no one wants that. A little white pepper goes a long way here, too.
Now, enjoy! A classic addition to a smorgasbord, a traditional dinner, or, as is popular lately, an odd ball hors d'oervre for grad parties etc. (Still don't understand that one)




No comments:
Post a Comment